4 Dead, 9 Missing After Cargo Ship Runs Aground in the Philippines
Four crew members from a cargo ship that ran aground off the southern Philippines have died, while seven have been rescued and a search is continuing for nine others, the Philippine Coast Guard said.
The crew of LCT Cebu Great Ocean abandoned the vessel, which was carrying nickel ore and 2,000 litres of diesel, before it ran aground on Monday 19th April.
The bodies of the four crew members were found after being washed onto the shore, while the seven were rescued in various parts of the southern province after reaching land.
The crew had dropped anchor off Jabonga town in nearby Agusan del Norte. Unfortunately the anchor snapped in rough seas and the vessel took in water and started to list (“Listing” is a nautical term to describe when a vessel takes on water and tilts to one side. A ship can list either to port or starboard.)
“It was during this time when they declared `abandon ship’ and jumped off,” a coast guard report said.
The abandoned vessel drifted and ran aground more than 60 kilometers (37 miles) from where it was anchored.
The weather had been rough in the area due to Typhoon Surigae, which brought winds that reached 195 km (121.17 miles) per hour, with its effects felt in many parts of the eastern Philippines. Disaster officials reported on Wednesday 21st April that three people had died, 10 were injured and one missing, in communities hit by strong winds, while tens of thousands remained in evacuation centres.